Ahh, it is time to enjoy our favourite fall foods.
I’m a lover of pasta, specifically creamy pasta. Since it is fall, I love eating warm, creamy, and sweet foods that provide me with comfort and happiness. So, I created a pasta sauce from my favourite fall vegetable, butternut squash.
I usually pair this pasta with grilled chicken breast. If you’re plant-based, you could pair it with tofu.
- 2 tablespoons of butter (Vegan option: Earth Balance Butter)
- 1 cup of diced white onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 cups of butternut squash cubes
- 1 cup of chicken stock (Vegan option: Vegetable broth)
- 2 tablespoons of diced fresh sage
- 2 tablespoons of diced fresh thyme
- 1 cup of milk (Vegan option: Soy)
- S & P
- Box of your favourite pasta (Wheat, rice, chickpea, etc)
- Add butter and white onions to a large pan and sauté on medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add garlic, sage, and thyme. Sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- In a separate pot, combine butternut squash and chicken stock. Cook until the butternut squash is tender, which should take 8-10 minutes.
- Next, add squash, milk, herbs, garlic, and S & P to a food processor or blender. Puree until smooth.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add pasta of your choice.
- Combine cooked pasta, sauce, and your choice of protein.
Butternut squash is an excellent source of vitamin A, potassium, and fibre. Vitamin A contributes to healthy immunity, potassium regulates fluid balance, and fibre promotes digestion.
By using squash as the base of the pasta sauce, this recipe reduces the amount of butter, milk, and cream, which lowers the overall calorie content. This is because the recipe uses less fat. Fat contains 9 calories per gram, whereas carbohydrates and protein contain 4 calories per gram. So if you’re aiming to limit your caloric intake for weight loss, this is a nutritious and safe option for you!