I agree, salad can be boring. In my opinion, the two most important factors of a delicious salad are the choice of protein and dressing. These two components frame the flavour of your salad! Otherwise, you’re just consuming plain, raw vegetables.
It is up to us to add flavour to our diets! Every week, I plan to make one new salad. This week, I made middle eastern inspired salad!
I used chicken for my protein and garlic hummus for my dressing. The chicken is really flavourful and the spices add a bit of warmth to the salad. The oil from the chicken and hummus mixed together, which made the salad taste rich in flavour.
Using hummus as a dressing is not very common, but I encourage you to do it! It is a lot more nutritious than most salad dressings and is delicious when mixed into a salad.
Below, please see the recipe for the chicken:
- 6 drumsticks
- 2 fresh garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon of curry powder
- Cayenne pepper (desired amount- I used a lot)
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil (I used canola)
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- Chop garlic, onion, and add all of the ingredients to one bowl. Marinate overnight.
- Keep chicken on the bone. Add all of the ingredients to a frying pan.
- Tip: Since you added oil to the marinate, you don’t need to add oil before frying.
- Cover and cook on low to medium heat for 20-30 mins.
Yield: 3 Servings
For my vegetable base, I used a spring mix, white onion, tomato, cucumber, and cilantro.
I hope this encourages you to try one new salad a week with me! At the end of the year, you’ll have 52 new salad recipes!